Fun times at the cottage

We just spent two wonderful weeks at the cottage! Four of the girls and 10 of the grand kids were there the whole time. The husbands and other families came up on weekends. We always make so many memories when we're there. A tradition that started way back when I was young was that my dad always made home made ice cream. Well, I discovered a fun way for kids to make their own in a ziplock baggie (with no eggs, so Ty could have it too!). Dave made the original recipe in the ice cream maker, and the little kids got to lick off the beaters, like our kids always did. We had a few boat issues (the big boat quite running altogether and the paddle boat lost it's rudder), but we still had lots and lots of fun.

The cottage back in 1960

The cottage today

Papa making ice cream

Kids licking beaters

Some of the kids making their own ice cream.

Lyvia enjoying her spaghetti

We can't go long without having craft time - the kids made me some lovely new glasses!

Lucy checking herself out in the mirror

Erica reading her kids a bedtime story

The guys in their new "Vander-Lube-House-Grays-Man-Ting" t-shirts, ready for their 4th annual golf challenge. [I'll put in a plug for Ben - he just switched jobs and now does screen printing, sign making, etc. and he made the shirts - so, if you're ever in need of anything like that, give him a call!]

Dave and I with the grand kids

The Lubben/Dykhouse kids

family dinner

My sister Denise and I with our 4 precious grand daughters!

We actually took part in the annual boat parade. The kids had lots of fun!

Elijah is ready to go - isn't he adorable??

Abby and Ty with sparklers

Erica buys all the kids a towel and monograms their names on them. They were all using them lots at the cottage!

Several of us walked or ran in the 4th of July Big Whitefish Lake walk and Abby took the trophy for girls ages 7 and under.

Some of the kids going for a paddle boat ride after Dave replace the rudder.

Kate's first experience with a life jacket!

This past week a long time neighbor/friend from the cottage passed away after suffering with cancer for four years. It made me realize even more how important family is. Times like this at the cottage are so special and I hope and pray that you are able to enjoy and appreciate times like this with your family and friends too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the cottage. There is something really special about that place. Miss you!

Lia Leenstra said...

Looks like fun! I wish I was home a little earlier to experience it! I love the 4 grand daughter picture! HOW CUTE.

Have fun at the GEMS Conference!

See you soon!

joan b. said...

Love the pictures - many of them remind me of our own times at the cottage (especially the ice cream :). The picture of the kids in the striped towels is just great! Glad you had such a good time :)

Stacy said...

Marva, the family looks great! I cannot believe how much you've "expanded" over the years. I guess we all "expand" after some time, right? Having 4 of my own is certainly an "expansion" I wasn't ready for. Love the blog!