Hodge Podge

This update contains a lot of different topics . . .

First of all, if you need a good laugh, check out my daughter-in-laws blog at www.heather-dykhouse.blogspot.com - It's really funny. Also, my daughter-in-law, Cathy, just started her own blog. You can check it out at www.catherinedykhouse.blogspot.com

We had a very quiet Thanksgiving day. All 7 of our married kids went to their other side, so it was just the three of us. We went to the Mid Villa for brunch and then picked up some movies to watch at home. We took time to talk about what we were thankful for and were happy to hear Laiya's instant response of "my new family". We are so thankful for her, too!

We are helping to sponsor a family from Burma, through our church. Tonight we went to their apartment and brought supper along. They've come so far in their English in just the short time they have been here. They are a young couple (21 and 20) with their 4 month old son. Abek, Afam and baby Richard

Ben's band, Igby Iris, opened up at the Intersection a couple weeks ago. Now they've been invited back to open up on New Year's Eve. He stopped over tonight to bring me their brand new, first ever, Igby Iris CD. He has always loved music, so this is a dream come true for him. If you're looking for something to do on New Year's eve, just let me know and I'll hook you up with tickets.

As the holidays approach, I hope you all take the time to remember the true reason for the season. I am trying to get as much done ahead of time as I can so that I can do just that. I finished my annual Christmas letter the other night and tonight I finished making my cards. Now I get to sign and address them and hopefully I'll have them out within the week. We put up the tree today and I've been getting out a few more decorations (namely snowmen) every day. I'm about 99% finished with my shopping and about 75% finished with wrapping, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Well, it's a 'Silent Night' here - all is calm (everyone is sleeping) and all is bright (the tree is lit and candles are burning). I guess it is 12:30 a.m. so maybe I'd better go get some sleep too. That's it for now.

3 comments:

Katie said...

You like snowmen?!?

He he he :)

denise said...

Sounds like you've been busy! I need to finish up my shopping and get started on my wrapping. Overwhelming!
We enjoyed Ben's first gig at the Intersection a couple weeks ago but will probably spend New Year's Eve at home with our kids. Glad their new CD is out and we wish them all the best.
Glad to hear the Laiya is thankful for her new family and we are thankful that God brought her here to be a part of our family too.
Love you, Denise

joan b. said...

We're thankful Laiya is part of our family! Your help for the family from Burma sounds intriguing and fun :) Have I paid you yet for the great candles you made for my friends? Glad you got that done early so you can enjoy the holidays! Love!