Recuperating and Walking for a Cure


Well, it's been quite a week here! My surgery went well. It got started right on time (2:15 pm) and took about 3 hours. They removed a lot of scar tissue and didn't see anything unusual - which is always good to hear. They did send in a lot of tissue to be biopsied tough. By the time I was coherent enough to leave the hospital, it was about 9:45 pm. I don't remember too much of that night or of Thursday. My mom flew in Tuesday night and spent the day at the hospital with Dave on Wednesday and then sat here on Thursday - thanks Mom!!
Yesterday I was very nauseous - not fun!! I got myself off the vicadin so today I'm feeling quite a bit better. I was told I am not suppose to lift more than 5 lbs. for the next 3 weeks - that's crazy - my laptop weighs 8 lbs! I figured out how to slide it onto my lap from the table, though, so I'm good to go.

As I am writing this, I am missing the JDF walk downtown. Ben was diagnosed with diabetes the same year I had my cancer (yes, 1990 is a year I don't ever want to relive!!) and we have walked in the "Walk for a Cure" walk every year since. Dave and Laiya went to represent me. Emily and her kids are walking, too, and Zippora went along with Dave because Ben and Erica have a church activity in town this weekend. None of the other kids could make it this year, but a lot of Ben's friends are walking too. And I can't believe it, but Ben and Cathy are walking. Here's why - -

I wrote earlier that Ben had two impacted teeth removed on Wednesday. Well, with his diabetes, it's hard to keep his blood count stable when he doesn't eat normally. Thursday night they stopped in to see me and he was still in pain but was so proud of his counts. Well . . . at midnight Thursday night he woke up not feeling right. He knew he needed to eat something and he tested his blood and it said "low", which means it's below 50 - not good!! He ate some more and tested again but couldn't bring it up and by that time he was acting 'strange'. Cathy took him in to emergency, and they admitted him to the hospital with hypothermia! Yes, hypothermia! His body temp dropped to 91 degrees! After wrapping him in a heat wrap, running IV's, and doing a bunch more tests, they discharged him later in the afternoon. And yes, now, the next morning, he is walking in the JDF walk. He raised money for the JDF cause, but he's also trying to get enough on his own to buy a new and better insulin pump. . . .

I would just like to say "Thank You" for all the prayers this week! We really appreciate it!!

2 comments:

joan b. said...

I see Laiya is taking good care of you and letting you have her teddy bear for a time - glad your nausea is over and you're feeling better! We're thankful Ben was feeling good enough to walk this morning! I know you wish you could have walked with them - it was such a beautiful day!
Love!

denise said...

Glad that you and Ben are both feeling so much better. How scary! Hypothermia in 80 degree weather!
It's good to see you up and around too. You never stay down too long, do you! Love you, Denise