California was GREAT!

Here are a couple pictures from my sister, Joan. She came to swim in the pool with a copule of her grand kids so Laiya could get to know them better. Then she took a picture of Laiya and Dave by their garden. On Friday morning, Joan took Laiya up to the cottage for a few days. She had a great time while I was gone. She even called me early one morning (she didn't know California time is 3 hours behind Michigan time) but I loved hearing her sweet voice first thing in the morning.




What a wonderful GEMS convention again this year. I've been to several and this one rates right up at the top of the list of all-around best. We had awesome mass meetings and great speakers, as well as wonderful sectionals. The weather was beautiful too, and the best part is - NO BUGS!! Our last night was spent at a private beach, where supper was catered in and we had entertainment on the beach. We also had the use of paddle boats and kayaks. I'm happy to report that I took out a kayak with Shari Parker and we lived to tell about it!!



I know they probably will never speak to me again, but I just have to post some of the pictures we took with my photo booth program - too funny. Can you name these faces!!









Boy did we have some good laughs!! . . . . . . . . .

I guess maybe I'll share the excitement we had on Saturday night - Barb Miedema, Melissa Reitsma and I left the campus to go to Newport Beach and just do a little sight-seeing. We had a really hard time finding a parking spot by the water! We rode round and round and round. Finally we saw a restaurant that had a sign "restaurant parking only" so we decided to eat there and then we could leave Barb's rental car there. Well, after we ate, we went for a little stroll around the beach and then to check out some little shops. You can be sure we were just a bit surprised when we went back, exhausted and ready for bed, only to find that the car had been impounded!! Oh, my!! After talking to the owner of the restaurant, he called us a cab to take us to the place where the car was sitting. What a night! The cab driver was a 'little' sketchy and then the place where the car was looked like a deserted alley! We had to talk to the guy through a wrought-iron gate, pay a large fine, and finally we were on our way back to campus. What an 'exciting' night, to put it mildly!! . . . . . .

My sister-in-law, Barb, picked me up at the college this a.m. and we spent the day together. Oh, what a fun day! She took me for breakfast, then to the Broadway musical "Wicked", and then out for supper. We had such a good time! Here are a couple pictures from our time together. . . .





This is for my precious grand daughter Abby! . . .
Barb and I had a fun time at supper!

So, it was a wonderful fun-filled and inspirational week!

5 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Marv! Look at those two happy women at supper...looks like a lot of giggling going on?! Thanks so much for sharing a day in L.A. with me. You got to see Hollywood Blvd. at its best...or worst! Come again, anytime!

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures Auntie Marvi....Looks like it was a lot of fun.....Have a good day. :)

Lia said...

THAT IS SO FUNNY - THANKS FOR THE LAUGH THOSE PICTURES ARE THE BEST!!!!! I SO WISHED I COULD HAVE BEEN AT CONVENTION. I HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GOOD TIME AND PUMPED FOR GEMS!!

joan b. said...

Loved your warped pictures - look a lot like me some mornings :) Glad you had such a great time at the convention, with your friends, and your family. The night with the impounded car sounds like a nightmare but the rest of your trip sounds wonderful! How many years do you have invested in GEMS? Amazing you still have such enthusiasm for that ministry!

Anonymous said...

Reply to Joan - I love my Photo Booth program - we've had lots of fun with it!! Also, I'm proud to say I'm going into my 31st year of GEMS and yes, I do love it!! See ya! Larva Moo