Who is this girl anyway??


Today was Laiya's first day of school at Dutton Christian. I took this picture before we left home - she was not very excited! She was very nervous walking in to school, but she was greeted by several 7th grade girls, which was very nice. Mrs. McKenzie took her down to show her the locker she will use and where her homeroom class will be. It felt so strange walking out of school and leaving her there. Up until today, she has been using one word answers and hardly talking at all. So, when I came back to pick her up from school this afternoon, I expected to have to drag it out of her to find out how her day went. Well, we hardly had our seatbelts on and she said "I couldn't understand all the teachers." I was so shocked to hear a full sentence! Then she went on to tell me that 'the tall teacher with glasses is funny, Emily is going to help me in math, I sang alto in the choir, and I will have a test in science tomorrow but I won't get a grade.' I couldn't believe my ears! It was so fun to see this new side of her! I took her to get ice cream to celebrate surviving her first day of school. She was all smiles! Then after supper, we went outside. I have asked her several times if she wants to learn to ride a bike and she always just says "no". Today she went in the garage, got on a little tricycle and said "I can ride a bike!" She was just laughing and having fun! It was beautiful to watch. Then she picked a dandelion and blew on it and said "my friend tell me that if you blow one time and it all blow off, then you getting married". She blew and blew and said "I not get married!" and laughed some more! We definitely gave her an appropriate middle name - she is a true JOY!

3 comments:

joan b. said...

Yeah, Laiya! It sounds like your first day at school went really well. You will find lots of friends there and people who are eager to get to know you and help you.
The picture of you on the bike is great - love the smile :)
Love and hugs,
Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

So glad that your first day at school went well, Laiya. We are so happy you are here and live so close to us. Glad you enjoyed your first bike ride!!!
Aunt Beckie

Lia said...

WOW - That is great - what joy for everyone. I have the same nervous feeling for Maddie starting a new school in July. I am not sure if I will be able to leave the parking lot. But from what is sounds like - It can be a great experience for a kid. Best wishes Laiya!!!!