Oh, my, what a day to be remembered! We met the social worker at 10:15 and went across town (by subway, train and bus) to meet Laiya. We then went to the foster parent’s home to exchange gifts. Then on to a luncheon with four other social workers that have been involved in Laiya’s care over the past 8 years. The foster family joined us too. Oh, boy, was it emotional! One of the workers has been on the case for all 8 years and said she feels like she is Laiya’s mother. After that we went to Laiya’s school and met with her Head Mistress. We sat in Laiya’s classroom and talked. We were told that Laiya is the “class monitor” (takes care of discipline problems and helps the teacher). She also said that Laiya is well liked by her classmates. They did suggest that she needs to be encouraged because she lacks self-confidence. The head mistress has turned in Laiya’s name for a special award and will mail it when it comes in. After that we met Tony, who has been tutoring Laiya in English since she found out she would be living in the US. Then it was time to say goodbye to the foster family! The father couldn’t even go with us to the bus stop because he was having “too much anxiety”. We brought Laiya's suitcase and Rukiya, Laiya's social worker came back to the hotel with us to get her settled in. They had long talks on the couch and there were lots of tears. Just 15 minutes after Rukiya left, though, I remembered that I have a translator on my computer. I typed out some of the things that have been written in comments and emails and hit translate so she could read them in Chinese. It was great. We then went out for supper. She did really well with her English - saw the buffet and asked if she could get that. Then the waiter said it came with steak and how did she want it done? I asked him to ask her in Chinese - that worked great! After that, I had her sit at the computer and I put my name in the send box and had her type me an email - what a keepsake! [Speaking of keepsakes - we were given photos, report cards, awards, etc. from social workers, teachers and the foster family!] So anyway, in the email to me she wrote "Today I felt so happy because I can go hotel with you and dad - but I think my english is so bad . . so I can't speak more english!! I felt sad because I am to miss my friends! But I don't talk with them. I have a new family so they don't know something about me. I don't wait to meet my nieces and nephews . . I want to play them!! But they are speak english - it is so difficult." Here is a note that she dictated to me for her nieces and nephews - Dear Isaac, Abby, Braden, Lyvia, Ty, Elijah, Evan, Jacob, Zippora, Taeron, and Lucy – Thank you that you pray for me. I can’t wait to meet you. Love, Auntie Laiya. So, it was quite a day! Thank you for your prayers - we really could feel them. More later . . .
3 comments:
Dave and Marva,
How wonderful to finally have Laiya as your own. "Welcome home, Laiya!" We hope the rest of your time there is just as special and goes smoothly. We can't wait to meet Laiya!!!!
Lots of love!
Beckie
We've been checking daily (or sometimes more than daily) on your updates. We're so thankful that things have gone well so far. We'll be praying for you as you travel home. I know we'll all be anxiously awaiting your arrival. It will be hard for all of us to just stand back and let Laiya take it all in slowly as to not overwhelm her. Her English is great - we'll have to be sure to build her self-confidence with that. Look forward to seeing you on Saturday. We'll both be there!
Love, Dusty & Betsy
Laiya, Dave and Marva,
What a great day that this has been for all of you.
We can't wait to see all of you when you get home on Saturday.
Dave, everybody at school were wondering how things are going so I put this blog on the board and many of them have been following your week.
School seems to be functioning O.K. but we all miss you.
Love. Bill
Post a Comment